… for Daniel Connor of BOQ Victoria Point
It has been a year of milestones for Daniel Connor (pictured) our Owner Manager of Victoria Point Branch. Daniel celebrated 15 years in business as an Owner-Manager last week and 25 years with BOQ in January of this year. Daniel’s first role with the bank was as a batch clerk and teller at our 229 Elisabeth St Brisbane branch. He then progressed through various roles, promotions and locations and was appointed to his fist management position at Wynnum Branch. Daniel distinguished himself as a people focused and customer centric manager before taking up the opportunity to run his own branch business in August of 2002.
Daniel has kindly shared some insights and wisdom from his time in business…
1) You’ve seen Victoria Point significantly change over the last 15 years – what is it about this local community that makes it so special and such a thriving hub?
The fact that we are located on the shores of Moreton Bay makes Victoria Point a special place to live and work. The area has a good mix of older and younger generations, with retirement villages, schools, shopping and dining. There isn’t too much that Victoria Point doesn’t offer. The area has a really good community feel and being a distance from Brisbane City is a good thing.
2) In your experience, what are the top three challenges faced by someone starting a small business?
Cashflow and working capital are key to cover contingencies in the early years; Marketing and Strategy are very important in a fast paced world; as are recruiting and maintaining key people is paramount.
3) In your experience, what are the top two attributes that you see in successful businesses?
Passion and Integrity. You have to love what you do and do what you say you are going to do, when you say you will do it.
4) In your opinion, what is the greatest asset your small business has?
It would have to be my brilliant team here at Victoria Point. We have lots of different skills and personalities, however we all come together to provide the best for our customers and the Bank. This is clearly evident in our ‘Branch of the Year’ award over the past 2 years running.
5) Who are the trusted advisors on your bench?
My wife Fran is my harshest critic, biggest fan, and best sounding board; she keeps me sane and focussed. I have two other key mentors who are successful business people in their own right and have also become good friends.
6) What do you believe are the three key benefits of being a part of a franchise model?
Support from the Franchisor in systems, size, advice, marketing and branding; Connecting and networking with other Franchisees; Being able to put my own touch on certain parts of the franchise business.
7) What is your favourite business quote?
The harder you work, the luckier you become.
8) What is the best thing about running your own business?
Being able to help our customers to reach their financial goals and dreams; and being able to promise my customers that I will be here for the long run.
Congratulations on your anniversary Daniel and best wishes for your continued success.
If you would like to learn more about BOQ’s unique franchise model please visit http://www.boq.com.au/franchise-opportunities.htm