Everyone wants the perfect home – but often that isn’t possible without spending thousands or taking out a loan, right? If you want to make some changes but aren’t sure how you’ll pay, it’s time to start thinking outside the box. There are a number of small improvements you can make to breathe new life into your home that won’t break the bank.
A little light makes a big difference
It’s amazing how much of a difference light can play in a house’s looks. Too much of it in the wrong places and your home will seem more clinical than welcoming. Too little, and it’ll seem like a cave. Finding the balance is affordable and easy:
- Think about your curtains. Dark drapes may be right for a bedroom but in living or dining areas they can cut out all natural light. Consider lighter mesh curtains or blinds – these give you more control over the natural brightness.
- Install new light fixtures. A dark home can easily be brightened on the cheap with a few extra light fixtures.
- Even something like clutter can make a room seem darker than it is. Get rid of excess furniture and let the light shine through.
A lot of research has been devoted to the psychology of colour – Discovery Channel’s HGTV considers the effects that differing tones have on emotion. Examples include:
- Red – The colour of passion and romance, the shade inspires excitement. Perfect for a dining or entertainment area.
- Blue – This has calming influences and is associated with strength and freshness. A good option for the kitchen or bathroom.
- Yellow – Strongly associated with optimism, a lick of yellow in the bedroom is perfect for improving mood.
A fresh coat of paint or a range of new home-wares and cushions will hardly break your budget and a powerful feature wall or calming new colour tone in a room can really change the entire vibe of your home.
Make the first impression memorable
You only get one first chance to impress, and cosmetic changes to the front of your house can be an excellent way to improve its look instantly. Any of the following are good ways to improve your home without putting a dent in your wallet:
- Consider purchasing a new door. It’s what stands out most from the front of your house, and you can modernise your entire unit with this one simple change.
- Re-do your garden. With a bit of elbow grease you can re-work your front garden into a green paradise that’ll catch the eye of all passersby.
- Cracks in your paint or ivy growing up the sides of your house aren’t a good look. Tackle these little projects and your property will be on the way to looking its best.
Of course, it’s not always as easy as just getting inspired and getting started – often you have to save up first, even for a small renovation projects. In the meantime, put your money in a BOQ Websavings account. Head into your local BOQ branch to chat to our friendly staff about how you can start saving today!